Sunday, October 12, 2008

Thing 6- Grand Canyon - South Kaibab Trail on the way to the Colorado River

I've heard of Flickr, but since I already use Shutterfly and also upload photos on Facebook, I never got around to trying Flickr. The photo I chose was taken at the Grand Canyon. It is an excellent example for a school project because it is a beautiful photo, the photographer commented on the photo, and it gives students an opportunity to experience the beauty of the Canyon, whether they have had an opportunity to be there or not.

I am thinking about a 6th grade project coming up at school. We are doing research about landforms and are teaching students the difference between primary and secondary sources. As an example of a primary source, we will be showing students photos related to landforms. Visual learning is very effective with middle school students. We usually demonstrate Google images for projects like this. However, I can see many possibilities using Flickr. My only concern would be issues of appropriateness. While Google is not foolproof, Flickr might include inappropriate images.

BTW, I had trouble loading the image I saved from Flickr. It saved as a .gif file, but the actual image did not show up when I attempted to upload it. Then, I learned that I could send it directly to this blog from Flickr, so I did! However, while the alignment looks right on the preview, it is not aligning correctly on the published post.

Addendum: I've since discovered flickr's blog. They recently posted a screencast explaining their new feature called "Recent Activity." This is similar to a home page on flickr, with lots of options very well explained on the screencast. To view, click here.

No comments: