Sunday, November 16, 2008

Thing 19: Podcasts

Which podcasts did you find interesting? Identify one or two podcasts and describe how you would use them in your teaching. (Be sure to include links in your blog entry to the podcasts mentioned.)
http://www.northville.k12.mi.us/hillside-imc/podcasts/2007-2008/reading-roundup/podcast3.htm
This teacher podcast is produced by Sue Spaniol at Hillside Middle School in Northville, Michigan. It was of interest to me because the podcast highlighted new mystery books in the middle school media center. In general, it is an opportunity for all students to hear a booktalk beyond the school walls. I was surprised to learn that these were books I did not yet have in my own media center.

http://mrmayo.typepad.com/podcasts/
These student podcasts were produced by Mr. Mayo's Class from Silver Springs International Middle School. I liked the layout of the blog so that the reader had an understanding about the podcasts. I listened to a few related to grammar and parts of speech, such as "Helping Verbs." I believe that other students would find these appealing because the voice is a student voice, not a teacher voice.

In general, podcasts add another dimension to teaching. Students have an opportunity to listen to new voices. Like other mediums, audio skills reinforce learning. In order to utilize podcasts effectively in teaching, I believe follow-up activities are important.

No comments: