Sunday, November 16, 2008

Thing 20: Searching for Podcasts

Include in your post the name of at least one podcast to which you subscribed. Describe your experience using the various search tools. Which do you prefer and why?
I subscribed to "A Way with Words: Public Radio's Lively Language Show" using itunes and following the directions from RESA's Searching for Podcasts. I selected this podcast because I used to listen to this show when I randomly listened to National Radio. I never took the time to find out when it was scheduled and appreciate that I may listen at my convenience.

I also searched for podcasts using Podcast Alley and the Educational Podcast Network. While I like indexes, I prefer searching using search terms. Of the three, I prefer itunes because I am already used to using other features of itunes and I like the visually graphic organizing aspect of it. I also enjoy reading the reviews before selecting to subscribe. Educational Podcast Network seems to have respect in the educational world, but I discovered that many of the student works listed were no longer active podcasts.

I also subscribed to TechTeacher Podcast, which I found under "Information Skills" in Educational Podcast Network. The website for the podcast had a link to subscribe to its podcast via itunes. I selected this podcast because it has timely topics related to web 2.0 tools.

Finally, I subscribed to "American History Before 1870: Gretchen Ann Reilly" which is a college level podcast. I found it on itunes and selected it because my minor is social science and I miss working with our social studies teachers when we participated in a national American History grant.

No comments: